Prestige and Power
- Traditional authority – power because of social or cultural tradition like royalty or religious leaders
- Rational-Legal authority – power from law and legitimacy of the state such as judges and police,
- Charismatic authority – power that comes from personal qualities that create influence over people such as Kim Kardashian or Michael Strehan
Some examples of power are the abilities to keep yourself out of jail, influence politicians and enact laws that you favor:
This 2019 ProPublica report found that the IRS is LESS likely to audit wealthier Americans because it is more costly and difficult.And this article from the NY Times shows that an executive at United Airlines accused of corruption charges was forced to resign. Imagine if a teacher was accused of corruption and was forced to resign. That would be it – out of a job and no compensation. But,
Some more local examples of a contrast in power among wealthy and powerful compared to low income and powerless:
3. Choose one of the examples above. Which did you choose and what is the power being exerted?
The next component of social class is location.
Examining the largest 384 metro areas in the United States, our area, Chicago is the 3rd most populous at 9 million people. The median metro area is #192 – it is the 2nd largest city in Arkansas; Can you name it? Can you guess how many people are in the city? The total metropolitan area?
4. What is the size of the median metro area in the United States?
5. How does our metro area compare to the median?
Location and where College Grads Move
Try to make your own conclusions about the data:
6. Where do college grads tend to move?
7. How do you think where college grads move affects social class in the US?
Educational Attainment in America Map
8. Where do you see segregation by educational attainment?
Home Price, Location and Social Class
The price of a home depends on a lot more than the physical structure of the home.
Location and home price:
Zillow has a real estate market overview. Here is a link for the overview for each suburb (2021 averages):
Time had a map showing the most economically segregated cities in America.
This heat map from Trulia shows the median sales price for areas across Lake County.
9. How do you think your home’s value compares to the average home price? (Remember from the wealth section above, the average American owns a home.)
Location and health
And Clint Smith, a Washington DC teacher explains in his slam poem the ways that affects his students. As you watch, make a list of the ways that affects them:
Location is also related to mobility:
Leave a Comment